Facilities & Services
Consultation and Inpatient Services in the areas of:
- General Internal Medicine:
The department runs general medicine clinic under the supervision of consultant physician in internal medicine/hospitalist. The general medicine clinics provide preoperative medical screening. They also see patients with routine long-term issues like hypertension diabetes and other chronic conditions. Many companies get pre-employment as well as annual medical surveillance of their employees through the General Medicine Clinic at Shaukat Khanum Memorial cancer Hospital and Research Centre.
One of the Consultant Physicians is a registered united nation medical examination physician. Patients employed by united nation undergo their pre-employment medical screening as well as seek advise for other medical condition as per late down polices and guide lines of the united nation.
The department of Medicine runs specialist Palliative Medicine Clinics SKMCH&RC is the pioneer of development of physician led services in palliative medicine in this country. Patients needing symptom management for terminal as well as chronic condition are seen in the Palliative Medicine Clinic and appropriately managed. The Palliative Medicine Clinics are multidisciplinary with specialist nurses, psychologist, nutritionist and physiotherapist at hand to advise these frail terminally ill patients alongside the physician.
- Comprehensive Health Care clinic:
The department of medicine runs comprehensive health clinics to days a week. These clinics provide screening services for the public and are run under the supervision of Consultant physicians from the department. Specialized packages according to age and sex have been developed to run a comprehensive screening. According to the clinical history as well as the lab results appropriate advise is giving by the medical consultants for further testing if needed.
- Infectious Diseases
- Febrile neutropaenia service
- HIV infection
- The Infectious Diseases service is recognized as a training site leading to the FCPS in Infectious Diseases.
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Echocardiography (TTE as well as TOE)
- Exercise Tolerance test
- Cardiology Clinics
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Bronchoscopy with lavage and biopsy
- Transbronchial biopsy
- Foreign body removal
- Pulmonology Clinics
- Modern ICU with facilities for mechanical ventilation and invasive monitoring
- Staffed by fully qualified respiratory technicians and ICU nurses
- Supervision by qualified critical care physicians.
The department runs daily Consultant run clinics for GI disorders.
- Liver Diseases
- The hospital is a referral center for cirrhosis and its complications. Consultants are well-versed in innovative and comprehensive therapies for liver disease including complications of cirrhosis. The Hospital is a tertiary referral center for primary liver cancer or hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Medical, surgical, and radiological specialists cooperate closely to diagnose and treat all types of liver disease and disorders including liver masses. Staff have extensive experience with relatively uncommon hepatobiliary procedures including resection of biliary tract cancer, resection of liver cancer, ablation of liver cancers using a radio frequency probe and chemoembolization of liver tumors.
- Endoscopy Services
Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Center provides state of the art diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic facilities. The purpose-built, endoscopy Unit provides facilities for all endoscopic procedures and is fully equipped with the latest videoscopes and recording systems. A computerized reporting system ensures a permanent record is maintained of all the procedures performed. International standards of cleansing and sterilization of equipment are followed to ensure patient safety.
- Upper GI Endoscopy (oesophago-gastroduodenoscopy)
Diagnostic and therapeutic OGD including dilatation, polypectomy, banding, metallic stent placement, argon plasma coagulation (APC) therapy, metallic stent and percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) placement
- Lower GI endoscopy (Colonoscopy)
Diagnostic and therapeutic colonoscopy including polypectomy, dilatation, argon plasma coagulation (APC) and metallic stent placement.
- Endoscopic retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
Diagnostic and therapeutic ERCP including biliary / pancreatic stone removal and / or stent placement, both plastic as well as metallic.
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
Diagnosis and staging of esophageal cancer
Diagnosis and staging of pancreatic cancer
EUS guided FNA of mediastinal masses/lymph nodes
EUS guided pancreatic mass FNA
EUS-guided aspiration of cystic lesions
Coeliac axis neurolysis for pain control
Diagnosis, imaging and treatment of pancreatic pseudocysts
Small bowel enteroscopy
PEG tube change
03 weekly clinics
04 clinics per week
Dialysis and Hemofiltration services available in ICU
One clinic per week
- The department is recognized for both FCPS and MRCP training in Medicine. The Department is also recognized for FCPS training in Gastroenterology and infectious Diseases.
- The department offers a one year diploma in Respiratory Therapy.
- ACLS Courses every 06 weeks for all health care staff.
- MRCP PACES preparatory courses twice a year.
- TOACS preparatory course held quarterly.
List of publications IM Department.
- Wahla AS, Khan II, Loya A, Chin R Jr. 14 Apr 2014. A new pattern of pulmonary graft vs host disease in a hematopoietic stem cell transplant patient. Clin Respir J.
- Mehmood S, Jahan A, Loya A, Yusuf MA. 4 Aug 2014. Onsite cytopathology evaluation and ancillary studies beneficial in EUS-FNA of pancreatic, mediastinal, intra-abdominal,
- Malik AI, Badar F, Syed AA, Yusuf MA. 21 Jul 2014. Surgically treated rectal cancer patients-Outcomes at a tertiary care cancer hospital in Pakistan. Asian J Surg. pii: S1015-9584(14)00062-1.
- Complications of Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy Tube Insertion in Cancer Patients: A Retrospective Study. Mansoor H1, Masood MA, Yusuf MA. 26 Jun 2014. J
- Masood MA1, Zafar W, Yusuf MA. 25 Jun 2014. Is Diabetes Mellitus a Poor Prognostic Factor for Hepatocellular Carcinoma? J Gastrointest Cancer.
- Bhatti AB1, Yusuf MA, Kazmi SA, Syed AA. 24 May 2014. Pancreaticoduodenal Resection for Malignancy in a Low-volume Center: Long-term Outcomes from a Developing
- Sultan F, Aziz MT, Khokhar I, Qadri H, Abbas M, Mukhtar A, Manzoor W, Yusuf MA. Mar 2014. Development of an in-house hospital information system in a hospital in Pakistan.
- Malik A, Akhtar N, Loya A, Yusuf MA. 2014. Endoscopic ultrasound – fine needle aspiration of 2-deoxy-2-[18F] fluoro-D-glucose avid lymph nodes seen on positron emission tomography- computed tomography –what looks like cancer may not always be so. Cancer Imaging 14:27.
- Mansoor H, Yusuf MA. 19 Jul 2013. Outcomes of endoscopic pyloric stenting in malignant gastric outlet obstruction: a retrospective study. BMC Res Notes. ;6(1):280.
- Sultan F, Khan A. 2013; Infectious diseases in Pakistan: a clear and present danger. The Lancet, 22;381(9884):2138-40
- Hassan U, Loya A, Mehmood MT, Nazeer H, Sultan F. Mar 2013. Dengue fever outbreak in Lahore. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 23(3):231-3.
- Qureshi A, Hassan U, Loya A, Akhter N, Najam-Ud-Din, Yusuf A. Jul 2013. Diagnostic utility of endoscopic ultrasound guided aspiration cytology in evaluation of pancreatic masses. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 23(7):484-6.
- Clinical utility of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration in The diagnosis of mediastinal and intra-abdominal lymphadenopathy.
Mehmood S1, Loya A, Yusuf MA.
- Luxmi S, Salahuddin N, Herekar F, Sultan F, Irshad H, Ansari NB. 2012; Clinical and Demographic Pattern of HIV Positive Patients in Two Tertiary Care Hospitals in Pakistan: 20 Years Experience. Infectious Diseases Journal of Pakistan. 21: 485-91.
- Rashid N, Syed AA, Sultan F 2012; Fever of Unknown Origin Ten Years Later Due to Gossypiboma. Infectious Diseases Journal of Pakistan. 21:473-5
- Khan MZ, Jamshed A, Rehman SU, Hafeez H, Iqbal H, Hussain R. Jan-Feb 2012; Pulsed radiofrequency for glossopharyngeal neuralgia secondary to oral cancer. European Journal of Palliative Care. 19 (1):6–9.
- Raza SA, Ishtiaq O, Unnikrishnan AG, Khan AK, Ahmad J, Ganie MA, Azad K, Baruah M, Pathan MF. Jul 2012; Thyroid diseases and Ramadan. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 16(4):522-4.
- Siddiqi SS, Singh SK, Khan SA, Ishtiaq O, Pathan MF, Raza SA, Khan AK, Zargar AH, Bantwal G. Jul 2012; Guidelines regarding management of adrenal insufficiency in the Holy month of Ramadan. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 16(4):519-21.
- Azad K, Mohsin F, Zargar AH, Zabeen B, Ahmad J, Raza SA, Tayyeb S, Bajaj S, Ishtiaq O, Kalra S. Fasting guidelines for diabetic children and adolescents. Jul 2012; Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 16(4):516-8.
- Ahmad J, Pathan MF, Jaleel MA, Fathima FN, Raza SA, Khan AK, Ishtiaq O, Sheikh A. Jul 2012;Diabetic emergencies including hypoglycemia during Ramadan. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 16(4):512-5.
- Bashir MI, Pathan MF, Raza SA, Ahmad J, Khan AK, Ishtiaq O, Sahay RK, Sheikh A, Zargar AH. Jul 2012; Role of oral hypoglycemic agents in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus during Ramadan. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 16(4):503-7.
- Pathan MF, Sahay RK, Zargar AH, Raza SA, Khan AK, Siddiqui NI, Amin F, Kalra S. Jul 2012; South Asian Consensus Guideline: Use of GLP-1 analogue therapy in diabetes during Ramadan. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 16(4):525-7.
- Pathan MF, Sahay RK, Zargar AH, Raza SA, Khan AK, Ganie MA, Siddiqui NI, Amin F, Ishtiaq O, Kalra S. Jul 2012; South Asian Consensus Guideline: Use of insulin in diabetes during Ramadan. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 16(4):499-502.
- Imtiaz S, Siddiqui N, Raza SA, Loya A, Muhammad A. 2012; Vitamin D deficiency in newly diagnosed breast cancer patients. Indian J Endocr Metab. 16(3): 409-413.
- Rashid MU, Gull S, Faisal S, Khaliq S, Asghar K, Siddiqui N, Amin A, Hamann U. Dec 2011; Identification of the Deleterious 2080 insA BRCA1 Mutation in a Male Renal Cell Carcinoma Patient from a Family with Multiple Cancer Diagnoses from Pakistan. Fam Cancer. 10(4):709-12.
- Wahla AS, Haponik EF. 2011; Mechanical Ventilator Outcomes: A Practical Guide to Mechanical Ventilation. (eds Truwit JD & Epstein SK). John Wiley & Sons, Ltd Chichester, UK. doi: 10.1002/9780470976609.ch17: 214-236
- Wahla AS, Khan I, Bellinger C, Haponik EF, Conforti JF. Apr 2011; Use of Microdebrider Bronchoscopy for the Treatment of Endobronchial Leiomyoma. Clinical Respiratory Journal. 5(2): e4-7
- Baruah MP, Kalra S, Unnikrishnan AG, Raza SA, Somasundaram N, John M, Katulanda P, Shrestha D, Bantwal G, Sahay R, Latt TS, Pathan F. Apr 2011; Management of hyperglycemia in geriatric patients with diabetes mellitus: South Asian consensus guidelines. Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 15(2) 75-90.
- Shad A, Ashraf MS, Hafeez H. Apr 2011; Development of palliative-care services in a developing country: Pakistan. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 33 Suppl 1:S62-3.
- Hafeez H, Yusuf A. Feb 2011; Setting up a Palliative Care Service in Pakistan. European Journal of Palliative Care. 18(2) 93-96.
- Raza SA. Jan 2011; Endocrinology in Pakistan: Transcending in Care of Endocrinological Disorders. Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 15(1) 43-45
- Kalra S, Unnikrishnan AG, Raza SA, Bantwal G, Baruah MP, Latt TS, Shrestha D, John M, Katulanda P, Somasundaram N, Sahay R, Pathan F. Oct 2011. South Asian Consensus Guidelines for the rational management of diabetes in human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 15(4):242-50.
- Jaleel MA, Raza SA, Fathima FN, Jaleel BN. Oct 2011; Ramadan and diabetes: As-Saum (The fasting). Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 15(4):268-73.
- Zahid KF, Hafeez H, Afzal A. Oct-Dec 2009; Bacterial spectrum and susceptibility patterns of pathogens in adult febrile neutropenic patients: a comparison between two time periods. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 21(4):146-9.
- Hafeez H. Sep 2010, A Two-Center Study of Muslim Women's Views of Breast Cancer and Breast Health Practices in Pakistan and the UK. Journal of Cancer Education. 25(3) 349-353
- Banning M, Hassan M, Faisal S, Hafeez H. Sep 2010; Cultural interrelationships and the lived experience of Pakistani breast cancer patients. Eur J Oncol Nurs. 14(4):304-309.
- Hameed H. Javaid M. Mar 2010; Five years experience of sarcoidosis at a tertiary care centre in Pakistan. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association. 60(3) 293-296
- Hafeez H, Anwar N, Haq MU. Feb 2010; Documentation of Resuscitation Status in an Ambulatory Palliative Care Population: Results of a Prospective Observational Study From a Tertiary Care Cancer Centre in Pakistan. Am J Hosp Palliative Care. 27(1):55-58.
- Banning M, Hafeez H, Faisal S, Hassan M, Zafar A. Jul-Aug 2009; The Impact of Culture, Sociological and Psychological Issues on Breast Cancer Patients in Pakistan. Cancer Nursing. 32(4): 317-324.
- Banning M, Hafeez H. 2009; Perceptions of Breast Health Practices in Pakistani Muslim Women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 10(5):841-7.
- MU Rashid, D Torres, A Zaidi, F Rasheed, F Sultan, AR Shakoori, A Amin, K Schlaefer, U Hamann. (2009) No Association of Miscarriage and BRCA Carrier Status in Pakistani Breast/Ovarian Cancer Patients with a History of Parental Consanguinity. Breast Cancer Research & Treatment 116(1):211-3.
- Anwar N, Badar F, Yusuf MA. Sep 2008; Profile of Patients with Colorectal Cancer at a Tertiary Care Cancer Hospital in Pakistan. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1138:199-20.
- MU Rashid, D Torres, A Zaidi, F Rasheed, F Sultan, AR Shakoori, A Asim, Ute Hamann. 2008; No Association Between BRCA Mutations and Sex Ratio in Offspring of Pakistani BRCA Mutation Carriers. Breast Cancer Research & Treatment. 107:155–156.
- Mir MA, Sultan F. 2008. Meningococcal Injection Abscess. Infectious Diseases Clinical practice. 16:401-402.
- H Hafeez, A Yusuf. 2008; Organising an MRCP Course in Pakistan J R Coll Physicians Edinb. 38:302–304.
- H Hameed, MT Mahmood, MA Yusuf. 2008; An Unusual Cause of Dysphagia in a Young Adult Image of the Quarter. J R Coll Physicians Edinb. 38:308–10.
- Yusuf MA, Badar F, Meerza F, Khokhar RA, Ali FA, Sarwar S, Faruqui ZS. Apr-Jun 2007; Survival from Hepatocellular Carcinoma at a Cancer Hospital in Pakistan Asian Pac J Cancer Prev; 8(2):272-4.
- Badar F, Anwar N, Meerza F, Sultan F. Jan-Mar 2007; Cervical Carinoma in a Muslim Community. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev; 8(1):24-6.
- Yusuf MA, Badar F, Faruqui ZS, Ashraf A, Uddin N. Mar 2007; Third World Issues in Breast Cancer Detection. J Pak Med Assoc; 57(3):137-40.
- Sultan F, Mehmood T, Mahmood MT. Sep 2007; Infectious pathogens in volunteer and replacement blood donors in Pakistan: a ten-year experience. Int J Infect Dis; 11(5):407-12.
- Ahmed R, Sultan F. 2006; Granulomatous Mastitis: A Review of 14 Cases. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 18(1):52-54.
- Rashid MU, Zaidi A, Torres D, Sultan F, Benner A, Naqvi B, Shakoori AR, Seidel-Renkert A, Farooq H, Narod S, Amin A, Hamann U. 2006 Dec 15; Prevalence of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in Pakistani breast and ovarian cancer patients. Int J Cancer; 119(12):2832-9.
Awards, Certifications & AffiliationsThe Department of Medicine is working towards JCIA recognition.